In this episode we look at goals, and assessment of those goals, in teaching and learning language. This is the third of 5 episodes dedicated to the book Common Ground: Second Language Acquisition Theory Goes to the Classroom by Florencia Henshaw and Maris Hawkins. Actionable insights and takeaways that you can use right away as you set goals for your students and create the assessments that support students moving toward them.
Topics in the episode:
- ACTFL Proficiency Levels
- Setting Proficiency-Based Goals
- Performance and Proficiency
- Assessment; Integrated Performance Assessments and Rubrics
- Intercultural Communication Goals
- Making the discussion interactive on Twitter with Joshua (@wlcalssoom), Florencia Henshaw (@Prof_F_Henshaw) and Maris Hawkins (@Marishawkins).
Blog posts referenced in this episode:
- Episode 12: ACTFL Proficiency Levels
- Episode 49: Rubrics and Competency Based Grading
- Episode 56: Backwards Design and Planning
Get your own copy of Common Ground. Hackett Publishing is generously offering a 25% discount when you use the code WLC2022. [Available through December 31, 2022].
**The 25% off discount code can be used for any book through the end of December, 2022. Hackett publishes several intermediate language-learning textbooks in Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Latin, and Classical Greek. New releases include Cinema for French Conversation, Cinema for Spanish Conversation, and Les Français.
Work with Joshua either in person or remotely.
Teachers want to hear from you and what you are proud of in your classroom. Join me on the podcast. We record conversations remotely, so you can be anywhere.