What is culture and how do you engage your students in cultural topics? In this episode, we are looking at culture, but with a lens of seeing, hearing and tasting so that culture comes alive for students in the classroom. Allison Perryman, a Spanish teacher in Virginia, joins me to talk us through how she uses the senses to engage students in the diversity of target language cultures. We also talk about why it is beneficial to honor our students’ individual lived experiences as they approach their language and culture learning.
Topics in this Episode:
- what culture is and how culture can be an entry point for student engagement
- why it is necessary, and ultimately incredibly beneficial, to talk about diversity in the language classroom and how can we use this as an opportunity to affirm students
- formats for presenting and engaging students in diverse cultural experiences
- Allison’s approach of seeing, tasting and hearing diverse cultures with students
Connect with Allison Perryman:
- Instagram: @theculturalclassrm
- YouTube: @theculturalclassroom
- Facebook: TheCulturalClassroom
- Blog: theculturalclassroom.blog
Work with Joshua either in person or remotely.
Follow wherever you listen to podcasts.
Teachers want to hear from you and what you are proud of in your classroom.
Join me on the podcast.
We record conversations remotely, so you can be anywhere.