How do you find a text, or any kind of reading that you use with your students? Does it have to be a long piece of text to make sure that students really get something out of it or that you can use as a way for students to engage with the language? Today, Sarah Barrientos Svatos, a Spanish teacher in Spain, joins me to discuss how we can take a short text and turn it into a full lesson that touches on all of the communication modes. She has lots of tips to share so that you can get started right away.
Topics in this Episode:
- what we mean by a “short text”
- the benefits of using a short text
- are short texts only effective at novice level or also effective at higher proficiency levels?
- how to set students up for success by preparing them to engage with the text (pre-reading activities)
- how to support students while they engage with the text (during-reading activities)
- how to check for understanding of the text and set students up to produce output (post-reading activities)
- Download Sarah’s Paella Activity
Connect with Sarah Barrientos Svatos:
Facebook: The Stress Free Spanish Teacher
Follow wherever you listen to podcasts.
Teachers want to hear from you and what you are proud of in your classroom.
Join me on the podcast.
We record conversations remotely, so you can be anywhere.