In this episode I talk about the ideas of practice and communication in the language classroom. Sometimes what we think is authentic communication in the language is actually just practicing structures and vocabulary. Is there a place for practice or should it always be focused on communication? I take on these concepts with suggestions for what this can look like in you classroom.
I speak specifically about:
- Sandra Savignon’s definition of communication: “The expression, interpretation and very often negotiation of meaning in a given context. Communication has purpose.”
- Proficiency: what a student can do with language in real-world situations .
- Distinguishing Practice and Communication and what these look like in our classrooms.
- Practice, Activity and Task
- Practice Language and Communication Language
Common Ground: Second Language Acquisition Theory Goes to the Classroom
by Florencia G. Henshaw and Maris D. Hawkins