In this episode we are take on the question that we often get from students…”Why are we learning this?” Ryan Smith joins me to talk about how language teachers can infuse the idea of language learning as an essential skill when preparing students to be ready for college and careers. Ryan points how many useful communication skills that are developed and honed in the language classroom in addition to language learning and cultural competence.
Ryan speaks specifically about:
- why language learning is an essential aspect of being college and career ready
- convincing reasons to learn a new language
- skills that will make students college and career ready, particularly 21st Century Skills
- some “carrots” to help motivate students to learn a language and hone their skills
- how we can incorporate college and career readiness into our classrooms
- Seals and Credentials, especially the Seal of Biliteracy
Connect with Ryan Smith on Twitter (@renosenor).
Work with Joshua either in person or remotely.