I write the name of a student in the left column and rate ( +, ✓, -) the listed categories (Listening, Speaking, Accuracy of Language and time on Task). I usually check the student at two different times during the activity and count up the points for the score, which I put in the column on the right. Ideally I would get to all students, but this is rarely possible. Instead, I tell the class that 2-4 students will be chosen at random during the activity. I try to get to each student at least once a week during speaking activities so that by the end of the week all students in the class have a grade. I learned not to tell them when they have been graded until end of the week when they all get their grades so that they continue to try their best throughout the week. Download the Spanish and French versions HERE:
- 1,530,761 hits
- World Language Classroom Newsletter
- Foreign Language Reading and Writing Tasks with Student-Created Content
- Communicative Language Teaching Mindset Shift. That Was Then. This Is Now.
- Teaching Foreign Language Grammar: Inductive or Deductive?
- Bloom’s (updated) taxonomy in the Foreign Language Classroom (SlideShare)
- Design Communicative Activities in the Foreign Language Classroom (SlideShare)
- Effective Feedback in the Foreign Language Classroom (SlideShare)
- Bloom’s (updated) Taxonomy in the Language Classroom
- Feedback in the Foreign Language Classroom
- Foreign Language Exercises and Tasks; Task-Based Activities
Top Posts & Pages
- Chat Stations in the World Language Classroom
- Up and Down: Foreign Language Vocabulary and Verb Form Activities
- 10 Ways to Use Task Cards in the Foreign Language Classroom
- Welcome World Language Teachers
- Engaging Foreign Language Use with Padlet
- Foreign Language Assessment Rubrics (Interpersonal, Interpretive, Presentaional)
- Using Powerpoint to Practice Foreign Language Writing
- Bloom's (updated) Taxonomy in the Language Classroom
- Design Communicative Activities in the Foreign Language Classroom
- Students rise in proficiency, but what about language accuracy?