Once students have a solid grasp of verb forms in various tenses they can begin writing longer and more complex sentences with this powerpoint activity. Students begin with a verb (in the infinitive) and a subject pronoun. The animation of the powerpoint is set up to first have students write some ideas to include in a sentence and then students use this information to write sentences that go beyond a simple subject-verb-object sentence. Students will gain confidence in their writing as they see that they are able to build on their sentences with elements that they create on their own. The animation is set up to give a limited amount of time and students try to beat the clock by writing out their sentence that may include up to 12-15 words or more. Before beginning the activity, the powerpoint includes a review of verb forms and after students write they are prompted to share their sentence with a partner and with the class. Before moving on to a new sentence, students count up their words and add it to their total. This step does a great deal for their confidence as they are able to concretely see how many words are in their sentences.
- 1,587,388 hits
- Teaching Millennials and Gez Z in the Language Classroom
- World Language Classroom Newsletter
- Foreign Language Reading and Writing Tasks with Student-Created Content
- Communicative Language Teaching Mindset Shift. That Was Then. This Is Now.
- Teaching Foreign Language Grammar: Inductive or Deductive?
- Bloom’s (updated) taxonomy in the Foreign Language Classroom (SlideShare)
- Design Communicative Activities in the Foreign Language Classroom (SlideShare)
- Effective Feedback in the Foreign Language Classroom (SlideShare)
- Bloom’s (updated) Taxonomy in the Language Classroom
- Feedback in the Foreign Language Classroom
Top Posts & Pages
- Assessing Student Performance in Foreign Language Group and Pair Activities
- Presenting New Vocabulary-Comprehensible Input and Circling
- Welcome World Language Teachers
- Work With Me
- The PACE Model: Teach Foreign Language Grammar Inductively as a Concept
- Using the Gouin Series in the Foreign Language Classroom
- Running Dictation in the Foreign Language Classroom
- Building Community and Confidence in the Foreign Language Classroom
- The PACE Model
- Everyone to the Table: Foreign Language Vocabulary Activity