Once students have a solid grasp of verb forms in various tenses they can begin writing longer and more complex sentences with this powerpoint activity. Students begin with a verb (in the infinitive) and a subject pronoun. The animation of the powerpoint is set up to first have students write some ideas to include in a sentence and then students use this information to write sentences that go beyond a simple subject-verb-object sentence. Students will gain confidence in their writing as they see that they are able to build on their sentences with elements that they create on their own. The animation is set up to give a limited amount of time and students try to beat the clock by writing out their sentence that may include up to 12-15 words or more. Before beginning the activity, the powerpoint includes a review of verb forms and after students write they are prompted to share their sentence with a partner and with the class. Before moving on to a new sentence, students count up their words and add it to their total. This step does a great deal for their confidence as they are able to concretely see how many words are in their sentences.
- 1,757,609 hits
- Foreign Language Speaking and Writing Activities
- Foreign Language Digital Task Cards (Boom)
- How Can Teachers Use Research to Guide Their Language Teaching?
- What is Communicative Language Teaching?
- “Who is it?” Guess Who Activity for Level 1 Foreign Language Students
- Teaching Millennials and Gez Z in the Language Classroom
- World Language Classroom Newsletter
- Foreign Language Reading and Writing Tasks with Student-Created Content
- Communicative Language Teaching Mindset Shift. That Was Then. This Is Now.
- Teaching Foreign Language Grammar: Inductive or Deductive?
Top Posts & Pages
- Welcome World Language Teachers
- Summative and Formative Assessment in the Foreign Language Classroom
- Design Communicative Activities in the Foreign Language Classroom
- The PACE Model
- Foreign Language Number and Color Practice Activity
- Bloom's (updated) Taxonomy in the Language Classroom
- Hide and Speak (or Write): Foreign Language Activity to Practice Speaking and Writing
- Target Language Use and Student Accountability
- Using the Gouin Series in the Foreign Language Classroom
- Teaching Foreign Language Circumlocution