Once students have a solid grasp of verb forms in various tenses they can begin writing longer and more complex sentences with this powerpoint activity. Students begin with a verb (in the infinitive) and a subject pronoun. The animation of the powerpoint is set up to first have students write some ideas to include in a sentence and then students use this information to write sentences that go beyond a simple subject-verb-object sentence. Students will gain confidence in their writing as they see that they are able to build on their sentences with elements that they create on their own. The animation is set up to give a limited amount of time and students try to beat the clock by writing out their sentence that may include up to 12-15 words or more. Before beginning the activity, the powerpoint includes a review of verb forms and after students write they are prompted to share their sentence with a partner and with the class. Before moving on to a new sentence, students count up their words and add it to their total. This step does a great deal for their confidence as they are able to concretely see how many words are in their sentences.
- 1,513,574 hits
- World Language Classroom Newsletter
- Foreign Language Reading and Writing Tasks with Student-Created Content
- Communicative Language Teaching Mindset Shift. That Was Then. This Is Now.
- Teaching Foreign Language Grammar: Inductive or Deductive?
- Bloom’s (updated) taxonomy in the Foreign Language Classroom (SlideShare)
- Design Communicative Activities in the Foreign Language Classroom (SlideShare)
- Effective Feedback in the Foreign Language Classroom (SlideShare)
- Bloom’s (updated) Taxonomy in the Language Classroom
- Feedback in the Foreign Language Classroom
- Foreign Language Exercises and Tasks; Task-Based Activities
Top Posts & Pages
- 10 Ways to Use Task Cards in the Foreign Language Classroom
- The Role of Short and Long-Term Memory in Language Learning
- Welcome World Language Teachers
- Introducing Writing in the Novice Level Foreign Language Classroom
- Foreign Language Speaking Activities Using Pictures and Photos
- Task-Based Activities in the Foreign Language Classroom
- Bloom's (updated) Taxonomy in the Language Classroom
- Foreign Language Goal Setting Using ACTFL Can-Do Statements
- The PACE Model
- Assessing Proficiency with Student-Friendly Can Do Statements