This activity is a very effective way to get students communicating with each other using a specific set of vocabulary that they are familiar with. This is also a great activity to practice circumlocution. I typically provide a list of words that students know well and they have the task sorting the words into categories. I either give a list of words that students list in categories or they cut them out and physically place them in categories. The first time through, I have them put the words in two categories, then three categories and sometimes up to seven or eight categories. The objective is to do this using only the target language as the groups or pairs negotiate the categories. This is why it is best to provide words that are familiar. This helps to maintain the focus on speaking and communicating the negotiation in the target language and not focusing so much on the meaning of the words. The great thing about this activity is that there are no right or wrong categories as long as the groups can explain why the words are grouped together. Here is a WORD document with words to use to practice to do this activity with your students. The activity is in English, Spanish and French.I have also done this with pictures of well-kn0wn people that are related to the language and culture that we are studying (artists, actors, politicians, authors, etc.).
- 1,436,323 hits
- Foreign Language Reading and Writing Tasks with Student-Created Content
- Communicative Language Teaching Mindset Shift. That Was Then. This Is Now.
- Teaching Foreign Language Grammar: Inductive or Deductive?
- Bloom’s (updated) taxonomy in the Foreign Language Classroom (SlideShare)
- Design Communicative Activities in the Foreign Language Classroom (SlideShare)
- Effective Feedback in the Foreign Language Classroom (SlideShare)
- Bloom’s (updated) Taxonomy in the Language Classroom
- Feedback in the Foreign Language Classroom
- Foreign Language Exercises and Tasks; Task-Based Activities
- Design Communicative Activities in the Foreign Language Classroom
Top Posts & Pages
- Welcome World Language Teachers
- Bloom's (updated) Taxonomy in the Language Classroom
- Task-Based Activities in the Foreign Language Classroom
- Assessing Proficiency with Student-Friendly Can Do Statements
- Foreign Language Goal Setting Using ACTFL Can-Do Statements
- The PACE Model
- Using the Gouin Series in the Foreign Language Classroom
- Class Management System to Keep Students in the Target Language
- Hide and Speak (or Write): Foreign Language Activity to Practice Speaking and Writing
- The PACE Model: Teach Foreign Language Grammar Inductively as a Concept