In this episode Vicky Wang joins me to address the effect of anti-Asian sentiment on Asian ( particularly Chinese) teachers in their schools and classroom. Vicky Wang began an initiative, along with several colleagues, called Courageous Dialogues with Chinese Educators.
Vicky Wang is a Chinese Language and Culture Teacher in Maryland. She helps us understand how anti-Asian language, actions and microaggressions have increased throughout the Covid Pandemic. Vicky provides actionable suggestions for Asian (particularly Chinese) educators to confront these issues and for allies to support Asian colleagues and student.
Vicky speaks specifically about:
- the inspiration to create a space for courageous dialogues
- microaggressions and how are they damaging, particularly regarding Covid-19 and Chinese teachers
- support and resources are available through Courageous Dialogues With Chinese Educators
- Vincent Jen Chin and why 1955 is included in the CDCE social media handle
- empowering Chinese educators, and essentially any teacher, that is marginalized or targeted by microaggressions or disrespectful language
Connect with Vicky Wang and Courageous Dialogues with Chinese Educators
- Twitter: @cdce1955, @VickyAndiWang
“From a Whisper to a Rallying Cry: The Killing of Vincent Chin and the Trial that Galvanized the Asian American Movement” by Paula Yoo.
Work with Joshua either in person or remotely.