In this episode we are talking about textbooks. Some of us use them, some of us don’t. Maybe you are required to use one and maybe it’s a choice. Wherever you are with textbooks there’s a place for you in this conversation.
I am joined by Timothy Chavez, a Millennial Teacher, who, as you will hear, is part of a generation of students that were “brought up on proficiency in the classroom”…. proficiency natives if you will. And these proficiency natives are teaching the way the they learned. How exciting.
Timothy speaks about…
- his experience as a student with textbooks in the classroom
- how textbooks were traditionally designed and what might be missing
- whether or not we need to ditch the textbook all-together or if there are ways to use them effectively
- how to integrate a textbook (when required) with proficiency-based approaches to teaching
- the possibility of teaching without a textbook
- how teachers advocate to administration if they want to move away from a textbook-based curriculum
Connect with Timothy Chávez: